Celebrate Summer in Doncaster
Why travel abroad when the City of Doncaster has everything you need to have a great family summer holiday!
There is something in Doncaster to suit every taste and every budget!
Just simply take a look at what each dropdown has to offer.
Have a great summer!
Times are hard and even if it wasn't, sometimes the best things in life really are free! Here is your handy guide to FREE activities in Doncaster to keep your kids happy...
Not everything fun has to cost money!
1) A trip to Cusworth Hall -Often described as a jewel in Doncaster’s crown, Cusworth Hall is a beautiful building and park space where the kids can learn and burn off energy.
2) Doncaster Mumbler and Get Doncaster Moving challenge 'Summer Safari Trail' - this is sure to keep the kids busy and it will certainly tire them out for you too!
3) Danum Gallery Library and Museum - One of Doncaster's recent editions and very popular too. This is the perfect place for a day out, the kids can learn all about the city's history, do a bit of reading in the children's library and then you can end the day with a bite to eat at Cafe 1910
4) Parks and green spaces - Doncaster is certainly not short of these! Every corner you turn there is a beautiful green space waiting for you to explore it. Whether you want to go for a long family walk at Hatfield Moors Nature reserve or want to have a kick about in Sandall Park, there is a green space to suit all.
5) D31 Art Gallery - Is your child a budding Picasso? Then be sure to treat them to a visit to D31 Art Gallery
6) Doncaster Market is a lovely place to visit when you want to get the kids out of the house for some fresh air. It is a traditional market located in the heart of the city centre and one of the oldest markets around.
7) Walkers Nurseries and Garden Centre - Did you know the garden centre has the most beautiful garden that is completely free for you to walk around. It is the perfect backdrop for beautiful family selfies that you can cherish forever. There is also the lovely new cafe and butcher and fishmonger over at the Nursery too if you got peckish or needed to stock up on fresh produce.
8) The Yorkshire Hive is a free-admission shopping, dining and entertainment destination located adjacent to the entrance of the Yorkshire Wildlife Park.
The boutique stores are brimming with local artisan products, collectable artwork and inspiring gift ideas.
9) Visit the Lakeside Village and enjoy their range of FREE activities including their Free Crazy Golf Adventure, 26th May - 10th September, and their FREE Summer Cinema Screening, every Thursday in August at 11am & 3pm
Welcome to our guide on 48 hours in Doncaster.
Whether you’re visiting for the first time, are a local or a regular visitor, we guarantee a true Yorkshire welcome!
Whether you want to experience our rich history and culture, a quality family day out, Doncaster’s extensive international cuisine or maybe you want to get in touch with nature and explore our green spaces, whatever it might be, this guide has it all.
1. Yorkshire Wildlife Park
Start the day amongst nearly 500 animals from over 60 different species including the only polar bears in England, majestic lions, red pandas and even a black rhino. The 100-acre nature reserve is conveniently separated by walk-through adventure areas such as Lemur Woods, Wallaby Walkabout, South America Viva and Into Africa.
2. Wool Market
The Wool Market is a popular destination for all ages. It offers the best international street food around from pizzas and tapas to cupcakes and rolled ice-cream. If the family have different ideas on lunch there’s no need to worry, a large communal eating area means you can all sit together and soak up the market atmosphere while eating different foods from the various eateries. After having a bite to eat, you can then challenge your friends and family to some friendly competition using the Wool Market's brand new leisure facilities. While you are in the city centre, don’t forget to check out the other local independent businesses around the city and also the Frenchgate Shopping Centre where you will find all the big high street stores.
3. Lakeside Village
If you want to bag a bargain then Lakeside Village is a must! With lots of stores including high street favourites Next Outlet and M&S Outlet, ample free parking and Changing Places toilets, it is safe to say that Lakeside Village provides a welcoming and contemporary shopping environment for all to enjoy
4. Hex Hotel
Before retreating for the night, head back to the Yorkshire Wildlife Park and enjoy a little more shopping and dinner time at the Yorkshire HIVE, Yorkshire Wildlife Park's free-admission shopping, dining and entertainment destination located adjacent to the entrance of the Yorkshire Wildlife Park. End the day with an exciting stay at the Hex Hotel where you will wake up to the sound of wildlife.
1. A day out with the animals
For those of you with younger children to keep entertained Boston Park Farm is a guaranteed hit. Children can get up close with a range of farm animals and even pet and feed them. From July to October, you can also have hours of fun in the maize maze. Can you find your way out?
2. Cool down with some locally made farm ice cream
For the summer months, a trip to Sunnybank Gardens comes highly recommended. Walk around the beautiful gardens, have a family crazy golf competition and then cool down with delicious locally made farm ice cream.
3. Walk on the wild side
Thorne and Hatfield Moors forms part of the humberhead peatlands which represents the largest area of raised bog wilderness in lowland Britain at 2,887 hectares in size. The sites are internationally important, both as an example of a lowland raised mire and for its breeding nightjars. Visitors can explore one of the varied nature-brimming way-marked routes highlighting the stunning scenery
Need more ideas? For a more comprehensive list of a wide range of activities head over to our website: visitdoncaster.com
A-Z of family friendly things to do this summer in Doncaster!
Your comprehensive A-Z guide to summer holiday and family-friendly activities in Doncaster...
Doncaster is a very family-friendly city, and the Mumbler team has made it really easy for you to plan your summer. Read on for an A-Z guide to things to do in Doncaster this summer holiday. What's more, the Mumblers will let you know if you need to book in advance, if it is buggy friendly, if there are baby changing facilities…all the important things that mums (and dads) need to know when booking a family day out.
The fabulous team of Mumblers, led by Doncaster Mumbler have reviewed some of their favourite places to bring you an A-Z of fun, safe, family-friendly venues and attractions to enjoy this summer in Doncaster. Thank you to North Leeds, Hull and Wakefield Mumblers who popped over to Doncaster for a quality day out with their families, you all look like you had lots of fun!View the A-Z guide here
Think there's nothing to do with the kids in Doncaster this summer holiday...well think again!
The Summer holidays are right around the corner! You didn't think we would leave you without any ideas for Summer activities going on in Doncaster, did you? There's a lot going on to keep the little ones and you busy this summer! Click on any of the events below for more information on them. Do keep checking back to this page as we will add more events as we come across them. We hope you have a lovely Summer holidays!
- Brick by Brick Lego Exhibition at Danum Gallery, Library and Museum, available until 3rd September
- Free Crazy Golf Adventure at Lakeside Village, available until 10th September
- Summer with Forest Friends, through the whole of Summer
- Summer Activities at Danum Gallery Library and Museum, 26th July-1st September
- Kids Art Club at Print Imperials, every Saturday 10am-12pm during Summer
- Kids Club at Savoy Cinema, during all Summer Holidays
- Doncaster Mumbler Summer Safari Trail, during all Summer Holidays
- Summer Explorer Quest at Brodsworth Hall, 22nd July-3rd September
- Kids Quiz at The Wool Market, Every Tuesday during School Holidays
- Yorkshire's Strongest Man at Lakeside Village, 22nd July
- Doncaster Multicultural Festival at Sandall Park, 22nd July
- ABBA Party Racenight at Doncaster Racecourse, 22nd July
- Go Racing in Yorkshire Charity Raceday, 27th July
- Darwin's Adventures at Evolution Restaurant/Yorkshire Hive, 26th July-3rd September
- Record Fair at Doncaster Market, 29th July and 26th August
- Garden Festival at Hallcross, 29th July
- Jurassic Earth at Doncaster Dome, 29th July
- Gulliver's Valley Fun Day at Lakeside Village, 29th July
- Doncaster's Biggest Fancy Dress Party Ever throughout the city centre, 29th July
- Brass Band Sundays at Brodsworth Hall, every Sunday until 24th September
- Dinosaur Fun Day at Boston Park Farm, 31st July
- Moving Museum Summer Tour, 31st July-29th August
- Princess and Superhero event at Sandall Park, 3rd August
- Summer Cinema at Lakeside Village, every Thursday during August at 11am & 3pm
- Afternoon Cabaret at Doncaster Little Theatre, every other Friday
- Artisan & Craft Fayre at Lakeside Village, every first Saturday of the month (5th August & 2nd September)
- Rock at the Races, 5th August
- Mr. Dan, Sunday Funday at Wool Market, 6th August
- Run for Wildlife 5k with Curlys Athletes, 8th August
- Doncaster Pride at Elmfield Park, 12th August
- The Vamps at Yorkshire Wildlife Park, 12th August
- Shed of Stories at Lakeside Village, 12th August
- Barnby Dun Farm Shop Summer Fair, 12th-13th August
- Doncaster Food, Drink and Craft Festival at Doncaster Racecourse, 12th-13th August
- Mount Pleasent Summer Food & Drink Festival, 13th August
- Victorian Falconry at Brodsworth Hall, 15th-17th August
- Mr. Dan's Summer Disco at The Wool Market, 16th August
- Stranger Sings at Doncaster Dome, 17th August
- Mansion House Open Days, 18th August
- The Ed Sheeran Songbook at Doncaster Little Theatre, 18th August
- Auckley Show 2023, 19th August
- Kids Gardening Club at Lakeside Village, 19th August
- What's Love Got To Do With It at Yorkshire Wildlife Park, 19th August
- Doncaster Artisan Market, 19th August
- Robin Hood Panto at Boston Park Farm, 19th August
- Open Cockpit Weekend at South Yorkshire Aircraft Museum, 19th and 20th August
- GorillaFest 2023 at Gorilla Beer Hall, 19th August
- Vernon Kay Live After Racing, 19th August
- Discover the Sand House, 19th August
- Get Crafty at Potteric Carr, 23rd August
- The Village Fete at Lakeside Village, 26th August
- Olly Murs at Yorkshire Wildlife Park, 26th August
- Mermaid Madness Pub Painting at The Wool Market, 27th August
- Final Summer Vibes (Blue, Fluer East and Honeyz ) at Yorkshire Wildlive Park, 2nd September
- DN One Live, 1st-3rd September
- Bunkerfest, 1st-3rd September
- Mr. Dan Sunday Funday Disco at The Wool Market, 3rd September
- Supreme Queen at Doncaster Dome, 3rd September
With so much to discover in Doncaster and the surrounding towns and villages, you’re invited to stay over so that you can explore and enjoy all we have to offer at your leisure.Take a look here
Whatever your preference for food and drink, you will always find it served up with enthusiasm and hospitality in Doncaster and its surrounding towns and villages. Your taste buds are guaranteed to be given special treatment whether you opt for a romantic meal out, lunch with the kids, a coffee stop with your shopping bags or a pint in the beer garden.Take a look here
Rediscover the unexpected with a visit to take in Doncaster’s centuries old history and heritage. See how the industrial hinterland of Doncaster has been transformed into a patchwork of wildlife-rich, green spaces. Explore the charming market towns and villages that surround Doncaster, each with their own individual character.Take a look here
Need help planning your trip here to Doncaster, look no further as everything you need is on the button below.
Please do make the most of our Tourist Information Centre which is located just next door to the Mansion House on High Street. The helpful team will be able to provide you with help and advice on accommodation, events, eating out, things to do and so much more.View our guide here