Betfred St Leger Festival To Honour Doncaster Rovers Belles on Ladies Day
Doncaster Rovers Belles squad to be Guests of Honour on Thursday 14 September to kick-off the Betfred St Leger Festival as part of ‘Made In Doncaster’ celebrations.
- Doncaster Rovers Belles squad to be Guests of Honour on Thursday 14 September to kick-off the Betfred St Leger Festival as part of ‘Made In Doncaster’ celebrations
- Five squad players modelled outfits as they reveal the Ladies Day style guide
- Doncaster Designer Estelle Pearce, who has created the style guide, to also design a one-off bespoke hat for Belles Captain Jessica Tugby-Andrew to wear on Ladies Day
Doncaster Racecourse has today confirmed that the Doncaster Rovers Belles squad will be the Guests of Honour at the upcoming Ladies Day on Thursday 14 September at this year’s Betfred St Leger Festival as part of the “Made in Doncaster” celebrations.
Five members of the Belles squad (Jessica Tugby-Andrew, Ryley Johnson, Fearne McCormack, Freya Rattenbury and Lindsey Tugby-Andrew) got together at the Racecourse to help reveal five themes of the 2023 Ladies Day Style Guide, which has been created by local designer Estelle Pearce. The full style guide will be released in the coming weeks and will give racegoers top tips on creating the winning Ladies Day look, where there’s a £1,000 cash prize for the overall Style Awards winner.
This year’s Ladies Day Style Guide is based around “Made in Doncaster”, which is the overarching campaign for the 2023 Betfred St Leger Festival as Doncaster Racecourse looks to celebrate everything that’s great about the City and South Yorkshire. The five themes are:
- Floral Fantasy – Doncaster is blessed with some beautiful gardens, from Bodsworth Hall to Cusworth Hall, and the Racecourse would love to see racegoers celebrate these in their outfit choices
- Dopamine Brights - with City status being confirmed last year, the lights of Doncaster are shining brighter than ever, so festival goers are encouraged to elevate your style at the Festival with bright colours
- Show us your stripes - the City’s football clubs, Doncaster Rovers and Doncaster Rovers Belles, infamously play in red and white stripes. Whatever colour racegoers choose stripes are a trend that is back on the shelves this summer
- Corset Dress – as a nod to the Betfred St Leger Stakes being the World’s Oldest Classic, this is the perfect excuse to bring back the ‘classic’ Corset Dress, an undeniably powerful force in the fashion landscape, epitomising the fusion of elegance and rebellion
- Oversized Bows – A huge trend at the moment, oversized bows have woven their enchanting magic into the fashion landscape and are the perfect way to show how the Betfred St Leger Festival ties the community together
The racecourse has also commissioned Estelle Pearce and Doncaster-based hat Milliner Clare Barker from ‘Love the Hattitude’ to design and create a bespoke hat for Belles captain Jessica Tugby-Andrew to wear on the day, which will be auctioned after the festival to raise funds for the Belles.
Up to 40,000 racegoers are expected at the Betfred St Leger Festival this autumn, in what is always a highlight of the flat racing season and one of the most prestigious weeks of the British horse racing calendar. The Betfred St Leger Festival features four days of action-packed racing and kicks off on Thursday 14 September with Ladies Day opening proceedings for the first time in the event’s modern history.
Rachel Harwood, Executive Director of Doncaster Racecourse, said: “It’s an absolute honour for us to welcome the Doncaster Rovers Belles as our Guests of Honour to kick-off the Betfred St Leger Festival on Ladies Day. The team has been such an inspiration for Women’s sport and we’re delighted they are joining us for such a unique day. I can’t wait to see the hat Estelle designs and the Love the Hattitude team create, it feels extra special that it’s a real collaboration and celebration of Doncaster.”
Estelle Pearce, designer of the bespoke hat, commented: “I’m hoping the hat will be a real celebration of how inspirational the Belles have been, and my design can do that justice. The team are iconic in Doncaster, so I’m delighted to playing my part in making Ladies Day at the Betfred St Leger Festival such a celebration this year.”
Doncaster Rovers Belles President & Founder, Sheila Edmunds spoke about the link up: “It was a really lovely surprise to be contacted by Doncaster Racecourse inviting the squad to be the guests of honour for the St Leger Ladies Day. Sport is an important pillar of the community in Doncaster, and Doncaster Rovers Belles have had a long and celebrated history within that community. I know the players are excited to be heading down to the festival and to be helping to launch the style guide as well, especially with the links to the ‘Made in Doncaster’ theme. It promises to be an amazing day and a real celebration not only of women’s sport, but all things that make Doncaster great! We’re honoured to be a part of that.”
Ladies Day tickets are now available from just £16.00. Visit www.doncaster-racecourse.co.uk for more information or call the team on 01302 304200 to secure your place.