Doncaster Cricket Club

The History of Cricket in Doncaster

Cricket in Doncaster can be dated as far back as the late seventeen hundreds when 100 guineas were wagered on the outcome of a match between the gentlemen of Doncaster and York. Bowling was underarm, bats were curved and with with such a large bet on the game could Tim Hawkins have had some involvement.

Throughout the 19th century Doncaster Town played matches at both the racecourse and at a ground at Belle Vue. During this period the club disbanded and reformed on various occasions, the 1890’s were particularly successful with over 200 members but in February 1901 the club was again wound up.

Doncaster tradesmen formed a team which played its matches at Bennetthorpe. In 1911 Doncaster Tradesmen were renamed and revived the old Doncaster Town name. The next few years were successful on the field and the club joined the Doncaster & District Cricket League in 1914. During the 1st World War the Bennetthorpe ground was requisitioned for war purposes and the name of Doncaster Town disappeared again. Reformed in 1920 the club joined the Yorkshire Council in 1924.

From the mid twenties a full Yorkshire side regularly played Doncaster Town in a pre-season game. Local cricket fans were privileged to watch such greats as Wilfred Rhodes and Herbert Suttcliffe. The 1928 match marked the opening of the clubs present Town Field ground.

The Yorkshire League was formed in 1936 and Doncaster Town joined as one of the founder members. Town’s 1st X1 have remained in the Yorkshire League since 1936 and for much of the time playing success in the league was limited. Only KO cup wins in 1972 and 1992 brought 1st X1 trophies to DTCC. Hard work both on and off the field ensured steady progress throughout the 1990’s which culminated in 1998 and 1999.

In 1998, led by Nick Cowan, we became British Club Champions by winning the Abbot Ale National Club Knockout Trophy. Five hundred senior clubs in the UK enter this competition and after defeating teams from Sheffield, Nottinghamshire, Leicestershire, Birmingham, Lancashire and Harrogate, on a memorable day we beat Bath in the Final at Lords.

The Yorkshire League title and KO Cup double followed in 1999. The team, under the leadership of Barbar Butt completed it’s league and cup programme unbeaten. Three of this team, Simon Widdup, Simon Guy and Richard Dawson have all gone on to play 1st class cricket for Yorkshire, Richard has taken the further step and has made two tours with the England test team.

The other senior teams at Doncaster Town have played in various leagues over the years. Since joining the South Yorkshire League in 2000 the 2nd X1 won promotion each year and since 2003 play in the Premier Division guaranteeing along with the 1st X1 cricket of the highest standard each week for those who regularly watch at Town Fields. The 3rd XI having joined the South Yorkshire League in 2004 in Division 4, gaining promotion in 2005 to Division 3 where they currently play. Their home games can be seen at Finningley. With the progress of the club’s Junior Section and the continued hard work of the committee, players and members, the future of Doncaster Town looks bright for years to come.

 

Facilities

Doncaster tradesmen formed a team which played its matches at Bennetthorpe. In 1911 Doncaster Tradesmen were renamed and revived the old Doncaster Town name. During the 1st World War the Bennetthorpe ground was requisitioned for war purposes and the name of Doncaster Town disappeared again. Reformed in 1920 the club joined the Yorkshire Council in 1924.

From the mid twenties a full Yorkshire side regularly played Doncaster Town in a pre-season game. Local cricket fans were privileged to watch such greats as Wilfred Rhodes and Herbert Suttcliffe. The 1928 match marked the opening of the clubs present Town Field ground.

The Yorkshire League was formed in 1936 and Doncaster Town joined as one of the founder members.

Location